Monday, November 27, 2006

Fortunate Son by Walter Mosley




For our Next Reading Selection I have chosen

“Fortunate Son” by Walter Mosley. I have really become a Walter Mosley enthusiast here in recent years. I am not a big fan of the “who-did-it” genre, but his Easy Rawlins and Fearless Jones books leave me wanting for more. However, I still have not seen or read “Devil in a Blue Dress”…I guess I need to get on it. I hope you enjoy.

Black Expressions Club Review:



Minas Nolan is a very recent widower with an infant son, Eric, when he meets pregnant Branwyn, a young, African American flower shop employee. When her son, Tommy, is born prematurely, with a hole in his lung, the four form a makeshift “family.” As they grow, Eric and Tommy are as close as brothers, despite their many differences. Eric’s graced by an endless supply of good fortune, but believes himself cursed. Tommy remains optimistic and strong, despite his health problems. A horrible tragedy rips their lives apart when they’re each only six years old, but when circumstances reunite them years later, they draw on their extraordinary natures to confront a common enemy and, ultimately, save their lives.

11 comments:

Keli said...

I don't know if I was ready for this read. Mosley really went there with some of his concept. I really found the bond between the brothers very interesting. They could not be any more different, however, they are the only ones who truly understoon each other.

Rhymes With Snitch said...

I am waiting for this right now in the mail. I got the audio book. What do you mean by went there? Is there some supernatural stuff?

Keli said...

It's not supernatural, but the Tommy's charachter was in his own world.

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

okay i just picked up...fear of the dark...have you read it?

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

i just finished "THUNDERLAND"....check it out let me know what you think

Keli said...

@sarccastik..yes I've read "Fear Itself", and I loved it. Guess I need to read "Fear of the Dark" too. Let me know what you think.

I will have to check out "Thunderland".

urbanknitrix said...

I love Walter Mosley books and never heard of this one. You have to go back and read the other's. I guess I will have to put this on my to read list!!! Thanks for the suggestion.

hottnikz said...

Devil is a good read, and the movie is good as well but to me, Don Cheadle stole the movie, with his Mousey character. He really brought that character to life!

brwn_eyes_brwngirl said...

See I never read Fortunate Son...I want to...I'll have to check it out...

I've always been a Mosley fan, but one book I think I really didn't get into was Future Land....but I might pick it up and finish reading the short scifi stories of his.

Unknown said...

Mosely will be reading from his newest Easy Rawlins' mystery, "Blonde Faith" in Seattle (Central Library) October 10th. I'm a huge fan. Redhotblue

Keli said...

I have not read Future Land either.

I have such a long list of must reads..."Blond Faith" is one of them. I guess that will be my reading selection after I've completed the EJD books on my list.